Friday, February 22, 2008

The Week-est Link, February 22, 2008: Mohler, Carson, and One Powerful Song

1. Andy Naselli, a friend from TEDS and PhD student in New Testament (and D. A. Carson's research guy) blogs about the online history of Southern Seminary that I worked on a few years back. I'm linking to it here because Andy lays out the site's content in a really helpful way. If you've never looked at the site, I encourage you to--a number of us worked hard on the site to make it excellent. The seminary archivist, Jason Fowler, a personal friend, did terrific work in pulling it together, writing some content, and finding great photos for the various content pages.

2. This is a great article on how children's play has changed in the last few decades. The aforementioned Andy Naselli passed it on to me by email. Pretty depressing. I'm thankful that my parents strongly limited the amount of tv that my sister and I could watch. We were forced to use our imaginations, and we did. Some of my fondest memories from childhood are simple times in the backyard. How many kids--and Christian kids, shockingly--will never develop such memories?

3. Great Collin Hansen piece on the new book by New Testament scholars D. A. Carson and Greg Beale on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament. There is such confusion on this subject. I attempt on my own little corner to push for healthy, full-canon biblical exegesis, but I am just a little fish--a minnow, perhaps. It's great to see a couple of sharks publish some meaty stuff on this important topic. Collin is also a TEDS student and is one of the best young writers around--make sure to get his new book when it comes out.

4. Future historian of eminence Matthew Hall blogs thoughtfully as ever about new studies in Mormonism. I'll have to think more about this before I comment, but it is interesting to observe the mainstreaming of Mormonism.

5. Al Mohler on a recent report of America's most sinful cities. His comments: "In reality, the whole world is a Genesis 3 world -- a fallen world inhabited by sinners. Sin is a universal problem and every single human being is a sinner. Put sinful humanity in close quarters, and sin inevitably multiplies." So true. It's fun to think about the morality of towns versus cities. Maybe a post for another day.

6. If you want to be edified and lifted up, you need to get this cd and listen to the song "Oh Lord Your Love." It is stirring and inspiring, and it never fails to direct my thoughts to the hope and joy that I have in Jesus Christ because of His death and resurrection on behalf of his church. Great work by Caedmon's Call.

Have a great weekend, all.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Terry Lange said...

How does one get to be a "research guy?" - your term for Andy Naselli.

Just curious..

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owen, I would appreciate your input on something if you have time.

Do you happen to know of a good non-technical article on the use of the OT in the NT (or know someone you could ask for a recommendation from or refer me to)? I'm planning to teach on that in a few months and haven't found anything directly on that topic that I would hand out to men who don't have seminary background but are looking at doing pulpit supply and potentially pastoring (although I'm interested in stuff that is semi-technical or technical for my own growth). I'm looking for something that argues that the apostolic hermeneutic is a model for us and not just a unique thing in history (the kind of view Jim Hamilton - and I presume you from you writing - would espouse, based on his recommendation of the Carson/Beale tome in a recent 9Marks e-journal).

I'm hoping to do more study myself, beginning with Moises Silva's chapter in Scripture and Truth (ed. Carson/Woodbridge), Dan McCartney's chapter in Scripture and Hermeneutic (ed. Harvie Conn) and some stuff by G. K. Beale that appeared in a recent Themelios journal. But at first glance, I don't know how useful these would be to have the guys read (if they were seminary students it would be different). We are using Roy Zuck's Basic Bible Interpretation as one of the textbooks for one group of guys (probably not using it for the next course starting up, but using Dan Doriani's Getting the Message instead + Vaughan Roberts' God's Big Picture) - one positive is that it has a chapter on the subject, something most hermeneutics textbooks seem to lack (the latest edition of Grant Osborne's The Hermeneutical Spiral does include one as well, though).

On a related subject, I am planning to require them to read Sinclair Ferguson's article on Preaching Christ from all Scripture available on Proclamation Trust's website and to listen to Ligon Duncan's T4G message on Preaching the OT (the best of the messages in my opinion, though all 7 were good stuff).

8:02 AM  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-02-18keyun
chanel bags
ugg boots
discount jordans
the north face jackets
nfl jerseys
uggs for women
cheap oakley sunglasses
nfl jerseys wholesale
louis vuitton outlet
tory burch shoes
cheap nfl jerseys
coach outlet
hollister jeans
ralph lauren outlet
cheap tods
fitflop clearance
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
abercrombie & fitch
ugg australia
louis vuitton handbags
ugg boots
mont blanc mountain
coach outlet store
ralph lauren sale
coach outlet
gucci handbgs
coach outlet online
kobe shoes
michael kors outlet sale
coach outlet
abercrombie & fitch
louis vuitton outlet stores
ray ban sunglasses
pandora charms
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet store
ray ban outlet
canada goose outlet
mulberry uk

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Obat Untuk Penyakit TBC said...

This article is interesting and useful. And let me share an article about health which insha Allah will be very useful if we use it again for others.

Obat Untuk Mengobati penyakit osteoarthritis
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Gula Darah
Cara Mengobati Jamur Mulut

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home